- Aggregate Professor at the Department of Evolutionary Biology, Ecology and Environmental Sciences of the University of Barcelona (UB), Spain.
- Coordinator of the Doctoral Programme of Ecology, Environmental Sciences and Plant Physiology at the Doctoral School of the UB.
- Paleolimnology and Paleoecology
- Evolution of hypoxia in lacustrine ecosystems
- Varved sediments
- Meromictic lakes
- Ecosystems responses to climate changes
- Tropical biodiversity
- Tropical limnology
- Environmental conservation and management
- Guayana Highlands (tepuis)
- Gran Sabana
- Mountain and high mountain lakes
- Orinoco river and delta
- Amazonian igapó
Keywords: biodiversity, biogeochemistry, blackwater river, abrupt climate change, conservation, diatoms, ecology, Guri reservoir, Gran Sabana, humic substances, Igapó, impact assessment, lake Estanya, lake Montcortès, mangroves, meadows, Neotropic, dissolved organic carbon, Orinoco delta, paleoecology, paleolimnology, Pantepui, threshold response, tropical limnology, varves, wetlands, meromixis, anoxia, hypoxia, fire, igapól